How to Ensure Accurate W-2s
Data to Verify
- Employee Legal Name – As shown on employee’s Social Security Card
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- Current Address
- Work City Tax – Municipality where the employee performs their job
- Ohio Residence City Tax
- Ohio Residence School District Tax
- Federal Filing Status – Not necessarily the same as employee’s marital status
- Bank Account information – Direct Deposit accounts
- Recurring Deductions taken from employee’s pay – Health Insurance, 401k, etc.
- Garnishment or Child Support Deductions
How can I remind employees to check and update this information?
Use a check stub message
With the exception of the birth date and the Social Security Number if you use masking, all of the information listed above can be found on the employee’s pay stub. Your Payroll Processor can add a message to your employee’s pay stub to verify their information.
Verify Employee Profiles
Request an Employee Profile Report from your Payroll Processor. Pass them out with payroll checks and have employees verify and sign off on them, making any necessary changes. Have them returned to your HR or Payroll department for any updates or corrections.
Create a Questionnaire
Create your own form and have employees re-submit all information for verification. This may be a good method if you need to update Emergency Contact information as well.
Create a Spreadsheet file
Create a document that employees can fill in and return to you. Cut and paste into one master file.
Interested in learning more about payroll and tax services? Contact us today.
Copyright © 2019