Start typing and press Enter to search

What if my employee discloses that a family member or roommate has COVID-19?

What if my employee discloses that a family member or roommate has COVID-19?

1. Employers should ask employees who live with someone confirmed to have COVID-19 to notify a designated HR representative or their supervisor as soon as possible.

2. The employer and employee should then refer to CDC guidance to assess risk and determine next steps.

  • Follow current guidance based on community exposure, for people exposed to people with known or suspected COVID-19 or possible COVID-19
  • Identify the exposure and recommended precautions for the employee
  • This could include but may not be limited to self-quarantine for a period of time
  • Note: Employees under a required self-quarantine may be entitled to sick pay under the recently passed Families First Coronavirus Response Act

Our recommendation is to continue to follow guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for employers.

Read more FAQ’s for employers navigating COVID-19 here.

Need help navigating COVID-19 for your business? Learn more about our HR Pros through HR On Demand today.

Content provided by Ahola’s HR Support Center.

Reply a Comment



This blog is for informational and educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice, and cannot constitute legal advice, because the authors are not licensed attorneys. Readers should not rely or act upon any information presented on this blog without seeking professional legal counsel. The views expressed in each post are those of the author, and the author alone; they are not the views of Ahola. The information provided in this blog is general, and based on information available as of the date of publishing. Information herein is provided on an “as is” or “as available” basis; we make no warranty of any kind to you regarding the information provided and disclaim any liability for damages from use of the blog or its content. Please consult an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular question or issue.